My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Teaching secondary modern foreign languages
This free course, Teaching secondary modern foreign languages, will identify and explore some of the key issues around teaching modern foreign languages in secondary schools. Through coming to understand these issues and debates, you will reflect on and develop your practice as a modern foreign languages teacher and develop a greater awareness of the wider context of languages education and how this affects modern foreign languages in the secondary school curriculum.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- articulate some of the factors that have had an impact on how the importance of language learning is perceived
- list some of the ways that target language can be used to promote student dialogue
- identify strategies that can engage students and promote their motivation to learn a second language in the classroom
- outline creative approaches that can enhance students’ experience in the MFL classroom
- classify strategies that promote students’ metacognitive skills in order to further support students’ language learning development.
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Learning languages – teaching languages
- 2 How can the target language be used effectively in the classroom?
- 3 What strategies can be used to motivate students in the classroom?
- 4 How can creativity be integrated into MFL teaching and learning?
- Keep on learning
- Further reading
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of participation
On completetion of a course you will earn a Statement of participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has nearly 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
11 hours study
Level 3: Advanced
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.