My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Exploring sport online: Athletes and efficient hearts
We all know that the heart is very important but what exactly does the heart do? Why is the blood so important? What functions do the lungs perform? In this free course, Exploring sport online: Athletes and efficient hearts, we will try to provide at least a basic understanding so we can answer these questions and begin to understand why knowing about the heart is important for all sports people. Before that we will take a look at the human body.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- understand how the body works in a scientific sense, and that a scientific view is necessary for us to study how performance in sport is linked to performance of the body
- explain the function of the heart briefly and looks at the importance of healthy hearts in sport, by looking at athletes and efficient hearts
- understand the topics of blood and blood flow
- understand the role of oxygen and the lungs and how they affect the sporting performance of an athlete, by looking at athletes, oxygen and the lung.
First Published: 10/08/2012
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 What to expect
- 2 A first look at the human body
- 3 The heart, blood and the lungs
- 4 Athletes and efficient hearts
- 5 The heart and blood
- 6 Athletes, oxygen and the lungs
Tags, Ratings and Social Bookmarking
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of Participation
On completion of a course you will earn a Statement of Participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions377 and our FAQs378.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses372.
If you are new to university level study, we offer two introductory routes to our qualifications. Find out Where to take your learning next?373 You could either choose to start with an Access courses374or an open box module, which allows you to count your previous learning towards an Open University qualification.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
5 hours study
Level 1: Introductory
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.