3.4 Where to get support
If you or someone you know struggles with panic attacks there are some really useful websites with information, support and helplines. You can also ask your GP if you want to access free CBT for panic disorder.
- No Panic – This website is a charity set up to help people with anxiety disorders including panic disorder. The website has lots of advice and support and a telephone helpline:
- Mind – The mental health charity Mind’s website also has lots of advice and support plus an information helpline and webchat service. www.mind.org.uk
- Information: The NHS has information on how to cope with panic attacks, e.g.:
- Self-help books: The extract your read earlier from Professor Baker’s book comes from his self-help book on panic attacks:
- Baker, R. (2011) Understanding Panic Attacks and Overcoming Fear, 3rd edn, Oxford, Lion Book.
- You can also find one chapter from his book (talking about emotional processing in panic attacks online: http://emotionalprocessing.org/ preventing-panic-attacks/
- Therapy: You can access CBT for panic disorder through the NHS; talk to your GP to find out more.