My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Lennox Castle Hospital: a twentieth century institution
- 2 Institutions: an outline history
- 2.1 Institutions and segregation
- 2.2 1 Social Darwinism and eugenics
- 2.2.2 Treatment regimes
- 2.2.4 Activity: segregation today
- 2.2.5 The emergence of asylum professionals
- 2.2.6 Skills for the attendants
- 2.2.7 Resistance to institutions
- 2.2.8 Campaigns for change
- 2.2.9 Professionalisation
- 2.2.10 Civil liberties campaigns
- 2.2.11 Scandals, treatments and cost saving
- 2.2.12 Activity: living through change
- Current section: References
About this free course
8 hours study
Level 1: Introductory
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.
Create your free OpenLearn profile
Anyone can learn for free on OpenLearn, but signing-up will give you access to your personal learning profile and record of achievements that you earn while you study.
Start this free course now. Just create an account and sign in. Enrol and complete the course for a free statement of participation or digital badge if available.
Lennox Castle Hospital
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
If you are new to University-level study, we offer two introductory routes to our qualifications. You could either choose to start with an Access module, or a module which allows you to count your previous learning towards an Open University qualification. Read our guide on Where to take your learning next for more information.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.