My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Social care, social work and the law - England and Wales
This free course is made up of four extracts related to social care, social work and the law in England and Wales. The extracts are stand-alone sections but follow on from each other to make up this course. You will be introduced to five main themes that shape practice in the field of social care and social work. The aim of this course is to enhance your understanding of the relationship between social work practice and the law.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of how social work decision-making must be set within a legal as well as an agency context to counter discrimination
- demonstrate an understanding of how the law relates to social work issues, and have the ability to digest, analyse and make use of legal information
- describe what is meant by anti-oppressive practice
- demonstrate key transferable study skills concerning the ability to summarise arguments, learn from personal experience and apply theoretical knowledge to practice issues and dilemmas
- understand the importance of professionals being open-minded and confident in dealing with service users, and how their values, ideas and beliefs can influence practice.
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- Extract 1
- Extract 2
- Extract 3
- Extract 4
- Keep on learning
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of participation
On completetion of a course you will earn a Statement of participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has nearly 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
4 hours study
Level 2: Intermediate
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.