My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Caravaggio's ‘Life’
- 2 Artists and their art
- 2.1 Understanding an artist's art
- 2.1 ‘Every painter paints himself’?
- 2.3 Biography and psychobiography
- 2.4 The intentional fallacy
- 2.5 Is the author dead?
- 2.6 Caravaggio's sexuality
- 2.7 Art, life and the interpretation of pictures
- 2.8 Further reading
- 3 Interpreting works of art within and outwith biography
- 4 Conclusion
- Keep on learning
- Current section: References
- Colour Plate 1 File
- Carel van Mander's writing File
- the Mancini source File
- the Bellori source File
- What is an Author? File
- Colour Plate 2 File
- David Carrier File
- Agnolo Bronzino's St John the Baptist File
- Annibale Carracci's Triumph of Bacchus and Ariadne File
- Michelangelo's Sistine Ceiling File
- Caravaggio's Sacrifice of Isaac File
- Colour Plate 3 File
- Emblem 69 Self Love File
- Annibale Carracci's Model Study for an Ignudo of the Farnese Gallery File
About this free course
20 hours study
Level 3: Advanced
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.
Create your free OpenLearn profile
Anyone can learn for free on OpenLearn, but signing-up will give you access to your personal learning profile and record of achievements that you earn while you study.
Start this free course now. Just create an account and sign in. Enrol and complete the course for a free statement of participation or digital badge if available.
Helen Langdon's ‘Caravaggio’
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.