1. Approximately how many Chinese characters in total are there?
(a) 5000 (b) 50, 000 (c) 10,000
2. How do you say ‘tea’ in Chinese?
(a) ti (b) cha (c) tae
3. In which of these islands is French NOT an official language?
(a) Martinique (b) Saint Vincent (c) Madagascar (d) Réunion
4. Which of these letters is used in the French alphabet?
(a) å (b) ß (c) ç (d) ñ
5. Which of the following is not a German speaking country?
(a) Switzerland (b) Austria (c) Swaziland
6. Which of the following words contain an Umlaut? (Select one or more)
(a) Küche (b) Strauß (c) Zwetschke (d) Pfirsich (e) Häuser (f) Löwe
7. Which of these independent states sits entirely within Italian territory? (Select one or more)
(a) San Marino (b) Vatican City (c) Liechtenstein (d) Monaco
8. Italian is spoken in several areas outside Italy. In which of these countries is Italian an official or recognised language?
(a) Slovenia (b) Switzerland (c) Argentina (d) Libya (e) Malta
9. Which of these artists was a famous Spanish painter?
(a) Frida Kahlo (b) Pablo Neruda (c) Diego Rivera (d) Salvador Dali
10. Which Spanish-speaking Latin American capital is furthest above sea-level?
(a) Caracas, Venezuela (b) La Paz, Bolivia (c) Tegucigalpa, Honduras (d) Mexico City, Mexico
11. In which South American country can you find a large enclave of Welsh speakers?
(a) Columbia (b) Argentina (c) Brazil (d) Peru
12. How many vowels does the Welsh alphabet have?
(a) 7 (b) 0 (c) 5 (d) 4
So how do you think you've done? Expand to get all the answers...
1. (b) China has approximately 50,000 characters.
2. (b) "Cha" is the Chinese word for tea.
3. (b) The official language of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines is English.
4. (c) French uses the letter ç - for example, in words like garçon.
5. (c) Swaziland conducts official business in Swazi and English.
6. (a) Küche, (e) Häuser and (f) Löwe all feature the two little dots about a vowel.
7. (a) San Marino and (b) Vatican City are two of only three sovereign enclaves on the planet, both surrounded by Italian territory. (The third, if you're interested, is Lesotho, enclaved by South Africa.)
8. (b) In Switzerland, Italian is one of four official languages.
9. (d) Aside from a period in the US between 1940 and 1953, Salvador Dali lived his entire life in Spain.
10. (b) La Paz is 3,640 metres above sea level - roughly double the height of Ben Nevis with Snowdon added on top.
11. (b) It's estimated around a one per cent of the residents of Argentina's Chubut province speak Welsh.
12. (a) Welsh language uses seven vowels - a, e, i, o, u, w and y.