Having good English skills is important in everyday life. In fact, being able to communicate effectively can improve your career prospects or if you decide to continue your studies. This free course, adapted for the construction and engineering sector, is an introduction to Level 2 Functional Skills in English with tips and techniques to help you communicate more effectively in everyday life.
Working through the examples and interactive activities in this course will help you to understand the different ways in which we communicate and how to use simple techniques to improve your self-confidence in taking part in discussions or writing letters or emails.
This course was written by Middlesbrough College in partnership with West Herts College, Bedford College Group and The Open University.
Earn this free Open University digital badge if you complete this course! The badge can be displayed, shared and downloaded as a marker of your achievement. The badge is awarded for completing the course and passing the quizzes.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- listen, understand and make relevant contributions to discussions with others in a range of contexts
- apply your understanding of language to adapt delivery and content to suit audience and purpose
- read a range of different text types confidently and fluently, and apply your knowledge and understanding of texts to your own writing
- write texts of varying complexity, with accuracy and effectiveness, and correct spelling, punctuation and grammar
- understand the situations when, and audiences for which, planning, drafting and using formal language are important, and when they are less important.
First Published: 30/04/2019