This is a huge building, originally the home of guards from the Palais de Justice, located on the Ile de la Cité near Notre-Dame cathedral.
It became a prison in the 14th century but its fame dates to the 1789 Revolution when almost 3000 men and women were sentenced to death and detained in the Concièrgerie, awaiting their final journey to the Place de la Concorde and the guillotine. Marie-Antoinette, Queen of France and the sister of the King of Austria, is among those who lost their heads after a brief stay here.
Today, the building today houses some of the oldest medieval remains of the city.
Rate and Review
Rate this article
Review this article
Log into OpenLearn to leave reviews and join in the conversation.