This describes the stage when the team is working productively together. Team members will be getting on with the task and producing results.
Characteristics of this stage include:
- shift from team process issues to the task you are undertaking
- team members respond well to each other
- team members stick to their tasks
- contribution is high and team members encourage one another to contribute
- better able to solve problems as they arise
- members are working hard and effectively.
Activity 6 Maintaining performance
While the team is performing well at this time, there are still things you can do to ensure that as a team you keep on track and are as effective as possible. Consider what you could do at this stage of the team’s life to keep the team ticking. Think about what you need to accomplish in this stage before you are able to move onto the fifth and final stage. Record your answers.
Team members are likely to be focused on working on their part of the task during this stage,and issues at this point tend to be around keeping in contact with progress and assessing progress made. If you are working in an online team it is likely that this is going to be much more of an issue, as you will not have regular contact with people in your team for the informal catch-ups that happen easily if everyone is located in the same office.
Things that can be helpful at this time include:
- Ensuring that you are aware when people may be away from work or busy on other projects. A mechanism like Instant Messenger or Twitter can help team members provide updates on what they are doing or thinking
- Measuring and celebrating accomplishments as you complete tasks towards your goal.