My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Workplace incidents in the UK
- 2 A historical perspective: The development of business accountability from the nineteenth century
- 2.1 Economic and political doctrine of laissez-faire
- 2.2 Development of employment law and employers' liability
- 2.3 Development of employers' duty of care
- 2.4 Imposition of vicarious liability
- 2.5 Statutory health and safety regime – a summary
- 3 Corporate manslaughter
- 4 Corporate responsibility in an international context
- 5 Case Study: Bhopal
- 5.1 Background to Bhopal
- 5.2 The incident and its consequences
- 5.3 Safety issues at the plant
- 5.4 The people affected by the Bhopal incident
- 5.5 Environmental damage from the Bhopal plant
- 5.6 Corporate responsibility for the Bhopal plant
- 5.7 The immediate responses to the gas leak at Bhopal
- 5.8 Legal accountability for the Bhopal gas leak
- 5.9 Liability for the contamination at Bhopal
- 5.10 What is there to prevent another Bhopal?
- Keep on learning
- Current section: References
About this free course
8 hours study
Level 3: Advanced
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.
Create your free OpenLearn profile
Anyone can learn for free on OpenLearn, but signing-up will give you access to your personal learning profile and record of achievements that you earn while you study.
Start this free course now. Just create an account and sign in. Enrol and complete the course for a free statement of participation or digital badge if available.
Corporate responsibility for industrial incidents
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.