4.2 The 7 Cs of communication
The 7 Cs of communication is a useful approach to use when considering effective communication. Figure 10 provides an overview of the seven elements.
Watch the following Mind Tools video to get a brief explanation of the 7 Cs of communication:
The video provided a short checklist for effective communication which we have summarised below.
- Clear: What is the purpose of the message and the outcome you desire, does the recipient understand why they are receiving the message?
- Concise: Focus on the core points. Try to keep it simple and short.
- Concrete: Be specific, brief and present in a logical order. Stick to facts, and provide evidence if required.
- Correct: Ensure both the information and the delivery is correct and error free.
- Coherent: Is the message logical and consistent?
- Complete: Provide all the required information and actions expected.
- Courteous: Use a friendly, open and honest tone. Consider your audience’s viewpoint and be empathic towards this.
If you want to find out more, there are many resources available that outline effective communication, including those on the OpenLearn platform, such as the badged open course.