As with conventional teams, the building and maintenance of trust between members is vital.
Ways to facilitate the building up of trust include:
- initial face-to-face start ups (with team-building activities) periodic face-to-face meetings
- visits to each other’s workplaces
- establishing clear codes of conduct and ground rules
- recognising and publicly rewarding performance
- taking care with the tone and language used in emails to reduce the risk of being misunderstood
- ensuring that team roles are made clear to everybody
- discussing and clarifying team goals
- making use of conference calls for in-depth discussions.