My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Estimating the cost of equity
This free course, Estimating the cost of equity, looks at how to estimate the cost of equity using the dividend valuation model (DVM) and the capital asset pricing model (CAPM), and how to evaluate the use of the DVM and the CAPM from a financial and strategic perspective. It then explores the implications regarding selection of the inputs to the DVM and CAPM and assesses the implications of using the beta measure in the CAPM.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- select and justify a suitable risk-free rate and equity risk premium for use in determining the expected return for a share
- evaluate the different approaches to identifying a suitable equity risk premium
- use the dividend valuation model to calculate the return on a share and the return on a market
- use the return on a market to arrive at an implied equity risk premium.
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Estimating risk and return for shares
- 2 Worked examples – Estimating risk and return for shares
- 3 Practice activities – equity risk premium (ERP)
- 4 Evaluate – The ways of calculating ERP
- 5 Experts speak – The ERP dilemma
- Keep on learning
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of participation
On completetion of a course you will earn a Statement of participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has nearly 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
9 hours study
Level 3: Advanced
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.