My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Managing projects through people
The importance of managing people for the success of a project cannot be underestimated. This free course, Managing projects through people, identifies the groups and individuals whose appropriate involvement in a project is important for its success, and considers the ways in which their contribution might be maximised.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- identify why managing people is an essential part of project management
- establish which people and groups of people are important for the success of a project and why
- explain what issues are at stake in managing them
- evaluate how particular groups of people involved in a project might best be handled
- recognise which skills are most important for managing people in projects.
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Why people management matters to the successful delivery of projects
- 2 Role of the project manager
- 3 Identifying and involving stakeholders in a project
- 4 Project team
- 5 Dealing with senior management
- 6 Political behaviour
- 7 Building relationships across the organisation
- 8 Satisfying the client and end user
- Keep on learning
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of participation
On completetion of a course you will earn a Statement of participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has nearly 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
8 hours study
Level 3: Advanced
Become an OU student
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.