My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Operations, technology and stakeholder value
The management of processes or operations is the very essence of any kind of business enterprise, and it is critically important that they are designed and managed well. This free course, Operations, technology and stakeholder value, uses case studies and models to illustrate the importance of effective operations management and outlines the steps to preparing your own operations proposal.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- make an effective business case for a change to an operations activity or similar using appropriate written and/or oral forms of communication;
- show the widespread utility of operations management principles at all levels across all types of organisation;
- introduce a transformation model of operations management, with stakeholder value as the principle output;
- provide models, concepts and techniques to assist in the analysis of operations systems, especially as these relate to the strategic objectives of the organisation;
- use the transformation model to discuss the nature of operations and operations management;
First Published: 10/08/2012
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Putting the unit in context
- 2 An introduction to the process view of business operations
- 3 The process view of business operations
- 4 An operations management video case study: Vue cinemas
- 5 An introduction to ‘making the case’
- 6 Making the case
Tags, Ratings and Social Bookmarking
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of Participation
On completion of a course you will earn a Statement of Participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
40 hours study
Level 3: Advanced
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.