My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
- Introduction and guidance
- Week 1: Threat landscape
- 1 Online, the new frontline
- 2 Understanding current threats
- 3 Securing my digital information
- 4 Week 1 quiz
- 5 Summary of Week 1
- Further reading
- Week 2: Authentication
- 1 Passwords: what are they for?
- 2 Improving password security
- 3 Two-factor authentication
- 4 Week 2 quiz
- 5 Summary of Week 2
- Week 3: Malware
- 1 Viruses
- 2 How malware gets into your computer
- 3 Keeping yourself protected
- 4 Week 3 quiz
- 5 Summary of Week 3
- Week 4: Networking and communications
- 1 What is the internet?
- 2 Is your private information really private?
- 3 Why we need standards on the internet
- 4 Week 4 quiz
- 5 Summary of Week 4
- Week 5: Cryptography
- 1 The secret of keeping secrets
- 2 Putting cryptography to use
- 3 Comparing different cryptographic techniques
- 4 Week 5 quiz
- 5 Summary of Week 5
- Week 6: Network security
- Week 7: When your defences fail
- 1 Identity theft
- 2 Laws and computers
- 3 Who should you contact?
- 3.1 Getting your computer working again
- 3.2 Making your information less vulnerable
- 3.3 Protecting your data for the future
- 3.4 Backup media
- 3.5 Remote backups
- 3.6 Do you backup your data?
- 3.7 Archiving data
- 4 Week 7 quiz
- 5 Summary of Week 7
- Current section: Further reading
- Week 8: Managing security risks
- 1 Information as an asset
- 2 Staying safe online
- 3 What do you do now?
- 4 End-of-course quiz
- 5 End-of-course guide and round-up
- 6 Next steps
- Sophos Threatsaurus File
- Information assets list template File
- Information assets list template (DOCX) File
- Setting up Mailvelope File
- Sending signed and encrypted email File
- Configuring your own firewall (PC - Windows 7) File
- Configuring your own firewall (Mac) File
- Principles of the Data Protection Act File
- itunes image File
- course image File
- share image File
About this free course
24 hours study
Level 1: Introductory
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.
Earn a free Open University digital badge if you complete this course, to display and share your achievement.
Create your free OpenLearn profile
Anyone can learn for free on OpenLearn, but signing-up will give you access to your personal learning profile and record of achievements that you earn while you study.
Start this free course now. Just create an account and sign in. Enrol and complete the course for a free statement of participation or digital badge if available.
Gamified Intelligent Cyber Aptitude and Skills Training (GICAST)
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses372.
If you are new to university level study, we offer two introductory routes to our qualifications. Find out Where to take your learning next?373 You could either choose to start with an Access courses374or an open box module, which allows you to count your previous learning towards an Open University qualification.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.