2 First words
Now that you have had some practice writing individual letters, let’s move on to words. When writing words, there are some additional points to bear in mind:
- If a word begins with a vowel, it needs a breathing.
- Sigma at the end of a word has its own shape (ς instead of σ).
Take your time and refer to the alphabet sheet as necessary (here's the link to the downloadable version again:). Keep a note of any letters that you find difficult to write.
Activity 2 First words
Try writing out the following common Greek words yourself. You can use this worksheet if you wish: First words.
- δένδρον (dendron) = tree
- κακός (kakos) = bad
- λόγος (logos) = word, reason, story
- ποταμός (potamos) = river
- σοφός (sophos) = wise
- ἄγγελος (angelos) = messenger
- βίβλος (biblos) = book
- θεοί (theoi) = gods
- ξένος (xenos) = stranger, foreigner, guest
- ψυχή (psuchē) = soul, mind
Here's a completed version of the worksheet for comparison: First words [completed].