Managing my money
Managing my money

Start this free course now. Just create an account and sign in. Enrol and complete the course for a free statement of participation or digital badge if available.

Free course

Managing my money

8.2.2 Motor insurance

UK law requires all car drivers to take out car insurance.

If you own a car the legal minimum obligatory insurance you must take out is third-party insurance. This will insure you against any damage you inflict on another person or their property (for example, your passengers, other drivers and their cars). However, it won’t cover your own costs.

Third-party, fire and theft insurance offers a higher level of cover. It will also pay for repairs or provide compensation if your own car is a write-off because of fire or theft.

Comprehensive insurance, as its name says, is comprehensive cover. It not only covers you for third party, fire and theft, it also covers damage or loss to your own car, whatever the cause.

Some policies include roadside assistance or a replacement car.

Figure 6

Take your learning further

Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.

If you are new to University-level study, we offer two introductory routes to our qualifications. You could either choose to start with an Access module, or a module which allows you to count your previous learning towards an Open University qualification. Read our guide on Where to take your learning next for more information.

Not ready for formal University study? Then browse over 1000 free courses on OpenLearn and sign up to our newsletter to hear about new free courses as they are released.

Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.

Request an Open University prospectus371