1.1.1 Fact and fiction
Trying to write both fact and fiction can help you realise the relationship between the two.
Activity 1.1 Can you tell fact from fiction?
- Write a paragraph (50 to 100 words) containing one fact and three fictitious elements. You can write about yourself, about your interests, about history – about anything you like. Then try the reverse – write a paragraph containing three facts and one fictitious element. Share your contribution in the forum thread for this activity.
- Then look at the posts from your fellow writers. Can you spot where the fictions are and where the facts are? Ask these questions:
- Is there anything that distinguishes the fictitious elements?
- Are there common elements that you and your fellow writers write about as ‘facts’?
- Do any of these passages suggest stories to you?