Currently, network security is largely driven by the effort to stay ahead of threats. Just as medical doctors attempt to prevent new illnesses while treating existing problems, network security professionals attempt to prevent future attacks while minimising the effects of successful attacks.
Within the IoE, security must be pervasive. The approach to security must be:
- consistent, automated, and extend to secured boundaries across organisations
- dynamic, to better recognise security threats through real-time predictive analytics
- intelligent, providing visibility across all connections, and elements of the infrastructure
- scalable, to meet the needs of a growing organisation
- agile, able to react in real-time
- comprehensive, end-to-end solution.
A pervasive security solution avoids disjointed security implementations that can increase complexity, be difficult to manage, and require increased staffing and technical knowledge to support.