Week 2: Personal resilience – born or made?
Last week you considered personal and career resilience, stress factors and responses to change. You learned that everyone is resilient throughout their lives – resilience is part of human nature. But that raises a question about the ways in which people are resilient and why some people show more resilience than others in the same situation.
This week you will explore individual variations to personal resilience in more detail. You will complete some activities that will help you to identify your own areas of strength, understand how resilience varies at different times and reflect on whether resilience can be learned.
As with Week 1, note your thoughts and responses in the toolkit or your notebook if you prefer.
Watch Lynne Johnson introduce Week 2.
Transcript: Introduction to Week 2
By the end of this week, you will be able to:
- recognise that there are varying degrees of personal resilience
- understand the different components that contribute to personal resilience
- recognise one way in which resilience can be taught
- reflect on your own personal capacity for resilience
- understand how coaching can build resilience.