2 Business Model Canvas
To grow your smart city idea into a smart cities project you need to develop a clear plan. The tool you’ll use to do this is your Smart Cities Project Business Model Canvas – download this now either in Smart Cities Project Business Model Canvas PDF or Smart Cities Project Business Model Canvas .docx format. This template is adapted from a business model canvas first developed by Alexander Osterwalder and Yves Pigneur and now available under creative commons (Strategyzer Support, 2015).
Activity 2 Adding to your Business Model Canvas
Start with these questions. Note that the first, the value proposition, is positioned in the centre of the business model canvas. It’s the key to the other questions here. The remaining parts of the business model canvas are addressed next week.
- What do you do? Enter your value proposition – this is the core value your project will deliver to your audience. Be clear what problem you’re solving and what need you’re satisfying. You’ll come back to value proposition next week.
- Who do you help? Identify who you’re creating value for, and who is the key audience.
- How do you do it? List key activities that you’ll need to undertake to deliver your project. What value does each activity deliver to your users, and what needs does each one meet?
- How do you interact? Identify how you’ll work with your audience. Your learning on different approaches to engaging citizens will be helpful here.
- How do you reach them? How will you reach your audience, and which channels will you use to do this?
Note down your thoughts on these questions but don’t worry if you don’t have all the answers yet. The idea of the canvas is to help you pull together the information and to identify where you have gaps – issues you need to explore further.