4.2 Stepladder technique
The benefit of using the stepladder technique is that it helps individuals who may tend to keep quiet to contribute their ideas.
- Share the problem with all group members before you get together so that everyone has time to think about it and come up with their own ideas.
- Form a group of just two people to start and get them to discuss the problem and their ideas.
- Add another person to the group of two and get the new person to share their own thoughts before hearing the ideas of the group of two.
- Add another person to this group and get them to share their ideas before discussing as a group.
- Reach a decision only when everyone has been involved.
Remember that if the group or team wants to benefit from the diversity of ideas it is necessary to provide a mechanism where these can be equally shared.