Week 8: Reflecting back, looking forward
This week you will think about what you have learned so far, where we are today with our understanding of autism and what the future might hold. Attitudes to and provision for autism are changing, although at different rates across the globe. You will reflect on the changes in countries such as the UK, and consider priorities and challenges for the future, including for lower and middle income countries (LMICs), with a special focus on Ethiopia.
Now watch the video in which Dr Ilona Roth introduces this week’s work:
By the end of this week you should be able to:
- evaluate how your own knowledge and understanding has increased while studying this course
- appreciate both shared problems and differences in the lived experience and needs of autistic people
- discuss trends and priorities in autism research and support
- identify wider societal issues that affect the lives of those with autism and their families
- understand some of the priorities for autism in low resource settings.