3.1 What happens at tutorials?
Here are some of the things that may happen at tutorials. The balance will depend on your subject, how far through the module you are, and, of course, the tutor.
- Discussion about the module material with opportunities to ask questions
- Activities designed to enhance your understanding of the material
- Working on problems or having discussions in small groups
- Help and guidance on how to approach assessment
- Learning points from the last assessment
- Introduction of different approaches to the module material to help you make links and develop your grasp of the subject as a whole
- …and usually the chance to chat informally with other students and tutors
If you have a particular concern about how things will work at a tutorial, then do contact your tutor beforehand – they should be able to reassure you.
Arranging to go to tutorials
You choose which tutorials to attend and do this by booking them online. There is usually a choice of dates and venues and always an option to attend an online tutorial. You’re welcome to sign up for any of the tutorials shown. Some modules only offer online tutorials.
The choice of whether you attend an online tutorial or face-to-face is yours. Join both if you like – sometimes hearing more than one tutor’s take on things is really helpful.
In the next couple of sections you’ll find out more about what it’s actually like to take part in online and face-to-face tutorials.