6 Summary of Week 1
Week 1 introduced you to what alcohol is from a chemical perspective and how alcohol is introduced into drink using the fermentation reaction.
You should now be able to:
- describe the ethanol molecule and distinguish it from other alcohols
- explain why ethanol is easily absorbed into the body
- describe some of the basic chemical reactions that ethanol can undergo
- discuss the fermentation reaction, and the conditions that affect it
- depict how early human civilisations used alcohol and its effect on their culture.
Next week you will learn more about how one particular type of alcoholic drink is produced – the process of brewing to manufacture beer.
You can now go to Week 2.