Introduction and guidance
This free badged course, Everyday maths 2, is an introduction to Level 2 Functional Skills in maths. It is designed to inspire you to build on your existing maths skills by working through examples and interactive activities. These have been designed around everyday situations like calculating how long it will take to get from one place to another or how to convert currencies when you go on holiday. The course may also enhance your career prospects or help if you are considering an apprenticeship.
On completing the course you should feel confident to tackle the maths you come across in everyday situations. You may also be able to help support children with their challenging maths homework and help them become more confident too.
You can work through the course at your own pace. To complete the course you will need access to a calculator, notepad, pen and protractor.
The course has four sessions, with a total study time of approximately 48 hours. The sessions cover the following topics: numbers, measurement, data, and shapes and space. There will be plenty of examples to help you as you progress, together with opportunities to practise your understanding.
The regular interactive quizzes form part of this practice, and the end-of-course quiz is an opportunity to earn a badge that demonstrates your new skills. You can read more on how to study the course and about badges in the next sections.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- understand practical problems in familiar and unfamiliar contexts and situations
- identify the problems to be solved and identify the mathematical methods needed to solve them
- select mathematical methods in an organised way to find solutions
- apply a range of mathematics in an organised way to find solutions to straightforward practical problems
- use appropriate checking procedures at each stage
- interpret and communicate solutions to multi-stage practical problems drawing simple conclusions and giving appropriate justifications.
Moving around the course
The easiest way to navigate around the course is through the ‘My course progress’ page. You can get back there at any time by clicking on ‘Back to course’ in the menu bar.
It’s also good practice, if you access a link from within a course page (including links to the quizzes), to open it in a new window or tab. That way you can easily return to where you’ve come from without having to use the back button on your browser.