2.1 Adding distances
Many trips have more than one stop. To calculate how far you have to travel you need to add together the distances between stops.
Example: Blood bikes
Blood bikers are volunteer motorcyclists who transport emergency medical supplies across the country.
A motorcyclist has to travel from Edinburgh to York, then to London, and then back to Edinburgh. How far will they travel?
Use the mileage chart to find the distances between Edinburgh and York, York and London, and London and Edinburgh.
The distance between Edinburgh and York is 186 miles.
London to York is 194 miles.
Returning from London to Edinburgh is 412 miles.
The total distance of the trip is:
- 186 + 194 + 412 = 792 miles
Use the mileage table to help you with the following activity. Remember to check your answers once you have completed the questions.
Activity 5: Travelling across the UK
- You use a hire car to go from London to Cardiff, from Cardiff to Liverpool and then back to London. You pay 10p for each mile you drive.
- a.How many miles must you pay for?
- b.How much would this cost?
- A patient in Newcastle is on a waiting list for an organ transplant. Two potential donors have been identified, one in Leeds and one in York. Which one is closest?
- The answers are as follows:
You need to look up all the distances and then add them together:
London to Cardiff is 150 miles.
Cardiff to Liverpool is 165 miles.
Liverpool to London is 198 miles.
So the total distance is:
- a. You need to look up all the distances and then add them together:
- 150 + 165 + 198 = 513 miles
- b.The total distance is 513 miles and you pay 10p for each mile you drive. So you would pay:
- 513 × 10 = 5,130p
- You would not usually express an amount of money in this way, so let’s divide this total by 100 to find the amount in pounds:
- 5,130 ÷ 100 = £51.30
- You need to use the mileage chart to compare the distances from Newcastle to Leeds and Newcastle to York.
Newcastle to Leeds is 94 miles.
Newcastle to York is 82 miles.
So York is closer.
You have now completed the activities on using distance charts. This will help you with everyday life when you are planning a journey and or claiming mileage when travelling for work.