Summary of Week 6
Week 6 revised and then deepened your understanding of how data is transmitted, and the protocols and devices to make this happen.
You should now be able to:
- explain the need for encapsulation of IP data
- understand the relationship between the TCP/IP protocol suite and the Open Systems Interconnection model
- configure and test a simple network using Packet Tracer Anywhere
- appreciate the need for IPv6 addressing and identify some of its main characteristics
- understand how ARP works to link network layer addresses with internet layer addresses
- understand how routers make their routing decisions
- understand how switches make their switching decisions.
Next week you will look at routing and switching in more detail, with the opportunity to practice this new knowledge setting up a network in Packet Tracer Anywhere.