Key points from Section 4
In this section you have learned:
- what mental capacity is and how it is assessed
- the link between mental capacity and positive risk-taking
- the different ways in which carers can offer support and encouragement to promote independent living and how assistive technology can help some people
- why considering least restrictive practice is important in acknowledging risk while balancing that against empowering and supporting the people you care for to do some things for themselves
- why an emergency care plan might be necessary
- common features of an emergency care plan.
As you are now aware, caring for someone can feel all-consuming, so it is important that carers also take the time to look after themselves. Section 5 offers some suggestions of how carers can look after their own well-being.