5.1 Before you start your application form
- Find out as much as you can about the vacancy and the organisation. Ask the organisation for more details (for example, a detailed job description and person specification) and, if possible, visit a careers service or large library to look for other information. You can also research online, as most organisations will have comprehensive information on their websites.
- Read through the whole form before you fill in any of the sections.
- Make a photocopy of the blank form (or print it from the screen) and use it for your rough draft.
- Comply with instructions such as using black ink or block capitals. You must keep to the prescribed format, because many large employers now optically scan applications to enter them into their recruitment databases.
- Usually, the space allowed for each question indicates its relative importance.