Week 2: Everyday maths
In this week you will investigate the four basic operations used in maths, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, as well as the closely related idea of powers or exponents. When using all of these, it is important to know what order to carry these out in, just like you would when making a piece of flat pack furniture. If you start in the wrong place, you may not end up with a correctly finished wardrobe, or correct answer. So, you will then look at the correct order to carry out calculations, before turning again to problem solving strategies.
Maria introduces Week 2 in the following video:
After this study week, you should be able to:
- use addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in different situations
- use estimation to check your answers
- use and understand exponents (powers)
- carry out operations in the correct order
- appreciate the steps in solving a problem mathematically.