My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Preface
- 2 Political belonging: loyalty, community and statehood
- 3 Self-determination: individual and collective
- 4 What is a ‘nation’?
- 5 Nationalism as an ideology
- 5.1 Ideology: a contested concept
- 5.2 ‘The prioritisation of a particular group – the nation – as a key constituting and identifying framework for human beings and their practices’
- 5.3 ‘A positive valorisation is assigned to one's own nation, granting it specific claims over the conduct of its members’
- 5.4 ‘The desire to give politico-institutional expression to the first two core concepts’
- 5.5 ‘A sense of belonging and membership in which sentiment and emotion play an important role’
- 6 National self-determination
- 6.1 When is secession justified?
- 6.2 Who should get to vote on secession?
- 6.3 What size of majority vote should decide the issue?
- 6.4 Does one community seceding grant a similar right to others?
- 6.5 Do our answers depend on who the groups are?
- 6.6 What about a more restrictive ‘remedial right?’
- 6.7 What about alternatives to secession?
- 7 Conclusion
- Keep on learning
- Current section: References
About this free course
8 hours study
Level 2: Intermediate
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.
Create your free OpenLearn profile
Get the most out of OpenLearn
Anyone can learn for free on OpenLearn, but signing-up will give you access to your personal learning profile and record of achievements that you earn while you study.
Anyone can learn for free on OpenLearn but creating an account lets you set up a personal learning profile which tracks your course progress and gives you access to Statements of Participation and digital badges you earn along the way. Sign-up now!
This free course is available to start right now. Review the full course description and key learning outcomes and create an account and enrol if you want a free statement of participation.
Nationalism, self-determination and secession
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.