This free course, An introduction to computers and computer systems, challenges how we view computers through the examples of processors in kitchen scales and digital cameras, as well as examining the work of art that, at heart, is a computer. You will also explore how computers are connected together to achieve even more than when working alone.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- recognise the fundamental hardware components that make up a computer's hardware and the role of each of these components
- describe the difference between an operating system and an application program, and what each is used for in a computer
- understand something of the work involved in designing an application program
- appreciate some of the core networking technologies used to connect computers together
- reflect on some of the future directions for computers and computer systems.
First Published: 21/07/2021
Great introduction to the basics and a small portion of what is a massive field of study.