My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Software development for enterprise systems
Enterprise systems are software applications that automate and integrate all many of the key business processes of an organisation. With some understanding of software development, in this free course, Software development for enterprise systems, you will learn about current development practices for this type of system and develop relevant skills to apply them to real-world problems. You will develop core skills in object-oriented analysis and design, allowing you to develop software that is fit for purpose, reusable and amenable to change.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- describe a software development process used in an object-oriented approach to software
- describe the activities that take place during software development
- understand the different modelling perspectives used in the course, and what is important in each of them
- understand the terminology of objects
- understand the terms framework, component and pattern, and discuss their relevance to the development of more flexible software.
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1. Introducing the terminology
- 2 Software development processes
- 3 The Unified Process
- 4 Emergent approaches to software development
- 5 Modelling and the UML
- 6 The object-oriented approach
- 7 Reuse
- 8 CASE tools
- Keep on learning
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of participation
On completetion of a course you will earn a Statement of participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
8 hours study
Level 3: Advanced
Become an OU student
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.