My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Managing Complexity: A Systems Approach
Do you need to change the way you think when faced with a complex situation? Managing Complexity: A Systems Approach, is a free course that examines how systemic thinking and practice enables you to cope with the connections between things, events and ideas. By taking a broader perspective complexity becomes manageable and it is easier to accept that gaps in knowledge can be acceptable.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- reflect on personal purposes and expectations of doing this course
- record personal initial and developing understandings of what the course is about
- keep an on-going record of these developing understandings, expectations and experiences
- use a Learning Journal to record any reflections
- take responsibility for these reflections.
First Published: 16/08/2012
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Managing complex systems
- 2 Preparing to tackle this unit
- 3 Understanding systems approaches to managing complexity
- 4 Systems practice – unpacking the juggler metaphor
- 5 Being a systems practitioner
- 5 Being a systems practitioner
- 5.1 The state of ‘Being’
- 5.2 Being aware of the constraints and possibilities of the observer
- 5.3 Appreciating your basis for understanding
- 5.4 Experience – making distinctions based on a tradition and constructing a history
- 5.5 Distinctions about systems practice
- 5.6 Learning and effective action
- 5.7 Being ethical
- 5.8 Reviewing some implications for systems practice
- 6 Engaging with complexity
- Activity answers
- Keep on learning
Tags, Ratings and Social Bookmarking
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of Participation
On completion of a course you will earn a Statement of Participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
20 hours study
Level 3: Advanced
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.