My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Why understanding technology evaluation matters
- 3 Unpacking evaluation
- 4 The functions of evaluation
- 4.1 Technology assessment
- 4.1.1 The relationship between the macro, meso and micro
- 4.1.2 A brief history of macro and meso technology assessment
- 4.1.3 Contemporary macro and meso technology assessment
- 4.1.4 National and cultural variations in assessment (and evaluation)
- 4.1.5 The globalisation of cultural images and views of technology
- 4.1.6 Undertaking contemporary technology assessment
- 4.1.7 Micro-level technology assessment
- 4.1.8 Technology assessment: issues and illusions
- 4.2 Technology evaluation
- 4.3 Recognising the complexity of evaluation
- 4.4 Beyond the formative–summative divide
- 4.5 Evaluation and knowledge generation for conceptual use
- 4.6 Summarising the distinction between the forms and purposes of evaluation
- 4.7 The characteristics of ‘effective practical evaluation’
- 5 Defining benefits and costs
- Current section: References
About this free course
20 hours study
Level 3: Advanced
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.
Create your free OpenLearn profile
Anyone can learn for free on OpenLearn, but signing-up will give you access to your personal learning profile and record of achievements that you earn while you study.
Start this free course now. Just create an account and sign in. Enrol and complete the course for a free statement of participation or digital badge if available.
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses372.
If you are new to university level study, we offer two introductory routes to our qualifications. Find out Where to take your learning next?373 You could either choose to start with an Access courses374or an open box module, which allows you to count your previous learning towards an Open University qualification.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.