9 Summary of what you’ve learned so far
When you divide by a number up to 10, the steps are as follows:
- Take each digit of the number under the line in turn, starting from the left.
- Work out how many times the dividing number goes into it.
- Write the answer to the division above the line
- If there is a remainder, carry it by putting it in front of the next digit on the right.
- Work out how many times the dividing number goes into the next digit, including any carried remainder.
- Continue, repeating the cycle, and adding zeros after the decimal point if necessary.
- Stop when you get an exact division with no remainder or your answer has as many decimal places as you want.