My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
This free course, Intracellular transport, explains the function of the cytoskeleton and its role in controlling transport of vesicles between different subcellular compartments.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- define and use each of the terms printed in bold in the text
- describe the characteristics of different intracellular compartments with respect to their structure, location and composition within a mammalian cell
- describe the traffic pathways between the endoplasmic reticulum, the Golgi apparatus, the endosomal compartments, and the basolateral and apical regions of the plasma membrane
- give examples of regulated and unregulated secretion, the mechanisms controlling the processes, and their functional significance
- give examples of endocytosis, the mechanisms involved and their functional significance.
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 The cytoskeleton
- 2 Cellular compartments and traffic
- 3 Trafficking vesicles
- 3 Trafficking vesicles
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Formation of clathrin and COP-coated vesicles
- 3.3 Fusion of vesicles with the target membrane
- 3.4 The function of Rab proteins in directing traffic
- 3.5 Cycling and re-use of membranes and traffic proteins
- 3.6 Membrane fusion mediated by viral proteins
- 3.7 Summary
- 4 Signals for compartmentalisation
- 5 The cytoskeleton and motor proteins
- 6 Endocytic pathways
- 7 Exocytosis
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of participation
On completetion of a course you will earn a Statement of participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
12 hours study
Level 3: Advanced
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.