My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Health and safety in the laboratory and field
Health, safety and risk assessment are of paramount importance both in the laboratory and the field. This free course, Health and safety in the laboratory and field, will help make you more aware of the hazards and risks involved wherever you undertake your research, as well as giving you an overview of the legal requirements attached to this work. The course discusses issues involved in the handling of chemical and biological agents, basic safety procedures and common field-work hazards.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- understand the legal framework of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and Regulations associated with it
- understand the employers’, employees’ and visitors’ duties
- evaluate hazards and risks in order to carry out a risk assessment
- understand the legal requirement to report any accident or dangerous occurrence
- develop risk assessments for scientific laboratories that use chemicals or biological organisms or both.
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Overview
- 1 Overview
- 1 History of health and safety
- 2 Legal requirements of health and safety in the UK
- 3 Office safety
- 4 First aid and emergency procedures
- 5 General laboratory health and safety
- 6 Chemical health and safety
- 7 Hazards, risk and the process of risk assessment
- 8 Biological health and safety
- 9 Field-work health and safety, UK and abroad
- 10 Risk assessment exercise
- Keep on learning
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of participation
On completetion of a course you will earn a Statement of participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has nearly 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
1 hour study
Level 1: Introductory
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.