2.3.1 The manufacture of tennis racquets
In this activity you are asked questions on the following video, which shows one method of manufacturing modern composite tennis racquets.
Activity 3 Tennis racquet
Consider the following questions as you watch the video and note down your answers.
- a.How many layers of CFRP are added to the frame at the start?
- b.How and why do they keep the core hollow during the heating process?
- c.What material is added to the inside of the frame, and why?
- a.Between 7 and 12 layers of CFRP are added to manufacture the frame.
- b.Pressurised air is pumped into the frame, to ensure space is available for it to be filled with a suitable material.
- c.Foam is pumped into the frame to add strength and stability to the finished product.