Glasgow and the earliest settlement on the site of the modern city was a fishing community on the river in the 6th Century. The river gradually increased in importance as trading links abroad established. Initially only small ships were able to navigate the river, but in the late 18th Century it was deepened so that transatlantic vessels could bring their cargo up to quaysides in the heart of the city. This led to the industrial and suburban expansion of the city when much of the local rock was used as building stone.
Shipbuilding became important, and shipyards occupied much of the riverbanks. By the late 1930’s the heavy industry based in the area (especially steel making, shipbuilding and coal) declined dramatically resulting in high unemployment and a reduction in population. Docks and quays were abandoned as the coastal trade from the port declined and many of the docks were in filled. More recently, the port was virtually closed and land along the banks revitalised and put to other uses.
These postcards cover the whole of Scotland, but were gathered at the Glasgow Coast event.
Gathered on the beach
Brodick, c. 1955
Photograph taken at Brodick, circa 1955.
On the beach, 1957.
Taken on the Waverley 1969-70 West Parish Church Cruise
Aberdeen 2002: Summer time on the east coast - swimming suit optional!