1. Add a book
The book module enables you to create a multi-page resource for learners in a book-like format, with chapters and subchapters. Books, which are not interactive, can contain media files as well as text and are useful for displaying lengthy passages of information which can be broken down into sections. A book can be printed. A book may be used:
- To display reading material for individual modules of study
- As a handbook (such as a staff department handbook, a course guide for students, etc)
- As a showcase portfolio of student work (if the portfolio add-on module is enabled - it allows a teacher to set a structure and students to add portfolio contributions).
To add a book
- In the course space switch
- Click on Add an activity or
resource under the main course home page or below an existing heading.
- The ‘add an activity or
resource’ screen will appear.
- Under Resources select
- Click on the ‘Add’ button
- The ‘Adding a new Book’ screen
- You can decide on chapter
formatting and custom titles in 'Appearance'.
- For 'chapter formatting' select the appropriate
option from the drop down list:
None - Chapter and
subchapter titles have no formatting
Numbers - Chapters and
subchapter titles are numbered 1, 1.1, 1.2, 2, ...
Bullets - Subchapters are
indented and displayed with bullets in the table of contents
Indented - Subchapters are indented in the table of contents
Style of navigation
Images - Icons are used for
Text - Chapter titles are used for navigation
- Normally the chapter title is displayed in the
table of contents (TOC) AND as a heading above the content. If the custom
titles checkbox is ticked, the chapter title is NOT displayed as a heading
above the content. A different title (perhaps longer than the chapter title)
may be entered as part of the content.
- Click on
'save and return to course’.
- Your book
will appear on your course page. To edit the book, click on the title
- You will be
prompted to add a new chapterGive the
chapter a title and paste in the content for the chapter.
- Click on 'save changes'
- The Table of Contents will now appear at the top of
the left menu, showing the first chapter and the first chapter content will
appear in the content area.
- To add
another chapter click on the grey cross alongside the chapter. The 'Add
new chapter' form will appear.
- Complete this
form and save changes. This new chapter will now appear in the Table of
You can add
as many chapters as you need and their content in the same way. You can
reorder the chapters by using the up and down arrows alongside each chapter in the table of contents.
You can edit
each chapter by clicking on the cog wheel symbol (edit chapter) beside the
chapter in the Table of Contents.