Resource 3: Pupil instructions for weighing activity
Teacher resource for planning or adapting to use with pupils
- Put the object to be weighed, say 1 milk tin, in the left scale pan of the balance. Place one bean in the other scale pan. Which is heavier?
- Add more beans one at a time, in the scale pan on the right until the two sides balance. How many beans do you require for this?
- Repeat using bottle tops instead of beans.
- Repeat (1) and (2) for each of the objects to be weighed.
Record your observations in the form of the table below
- Find out how many bottle tops weigh as much as 10 beans.
- Find out how many beans weigh as much as 10 bottle tops.