Resource 2: Ways to help pupils solve problems
Background information / subject knowledge for teacher
You can help your pupils become confident problem solvers by helping them to understand the importance of:
- reading the problem carefully to find the important parts;
- identifying the ‘deep’ features of a problem;
- deciding what exactly is involved;
- discussing and sharing different methods to solve the problem;
- testing out ideas;
- working alone and with others;
- being prepared to start again if there is a mistake;
- checking their work;
- asking other pupils or you for help when needed.
You can also help your pupils become confident problem solvers by:
- using contexts that are interesting to pupils when setting problems;
- making the classroom environment supportive so they can share ideas without fear of being laughed at.