5.3.5 Wrapping Up Negative Numbers
You now know how to perform the basic operations with signed (negative) numbers by hand and using the calculator. Hopefully, your confidence has grown, and you will continue to utilize all of your resources as you extend your knowledge and develop new skills.
Here are the important rules to remember again:
- Adding a negative number is the same as subtracting the corresponding positive number.
- Subtracting a negative number is the same as adding the corresponding positive number.
- Negative × negative or Negative ÷ negative = positive.
- Positive × positive or Positive ÷ positive = positive.
- Negative × positive or Negative ÷ positive = negative.
- Positive × negative or Positive ÷ negative = negative.
If you’d like to see a few more examples of each operation involving negative numbers, watch this video:
Well done for reaching the end of this challenging section‡you’ve been working really hard! If you’d like to wrap up what we’ve learned about working with negative numbers try watching and listening to this this catchy song!
Now we’ve covered the basic operations in math, problem solving strategies, and how to handle negative numbers, it is time to learn about how you read and write the language of mathematics correctly. This will mean that you can communicate what you have learnt so far to other people.