The Ins and Outs of Time Management

TIME MANAGEMENT 


WHAT IS TIME MANAGEMENT?

Time management is the process of planning and exercising conscious control of time spent on specific activities, especially to increase effectiveness, efficiency, and productivity.

WHY IS TIME MANAGEMENT IMPORTANT?

  • In this business, time management is crucial because you are either doing this alongside studies, a second job or other commitments. Even if you have decided to make this business your full-time commitment, you have probably chosen to do this to have more time and more money. 

  • Time management will be the difference between success in terms of red zones and green zones, which will be discussed in the next few slides. 

  • Time management helps you figure out whether you are just busy or if you are productive.



RED ZONES & GREEN ZONES

  • Red zones and green zones are key to know where to put your energy throughout your day. Green zones should consume 80% to 90% of your time and red zones should consume the remaining 10% to 20%.

  • Red zones are non-income producing activities.

  • Green zones are income producing activities.

  • Think of it like a robot, if you are doing too many red-zone activities STOP and if you are doing income producing activities GO!



RED ZONE ACTIVITIES

  1. Scrolling through social media

  2. Chatting in your team chat

  3. Telling your team what to do every second of the day

  4. Creating pointless content

  5. Creating lists of what you need to do knowing you won’t do it


GREEN ZONE ACTIVITIES

  1. Adding people to your business team 

  2. Adding people to your customer pipeline

  3. Engaging with said people (replying to their stories and commenting on their photos)

  4. Starting a conversation with those people either customers or team members

  5. Follow up always

  6. Exposing sales 


This business can be so simple - if you create activities revolving around selling and recruiting - you will be a success. 


TOOLS FOR TIME MANAGEMENT

It is important to have as many tools as possible but also to only use the ones that work for you. Do you accomplish more things if it is a hardcopy paper in front of you or as a list on your phone? Would you prefer an app or a hardcopy? Key things to have for time management are the following:


  1. Diary - to break down your day into times for business and personal

  2. Calendar - to remember important dates or deadlines (even your team member’s birthdays should be on there)

  3. Notebook - to create your list of to-dos that need to be added to your schedule for the next day or week ahead

  4. Schedule - to break down the time frame per activity (i.e. following and unfollowing 09:10 - 09:20)


HOW CAN YOU TIME MANAGE? 

  • Using the tools on the previous slide you can ensure you know what to do for your business each day and how long you have to do it, you know your working hours specifically for this business and what you need to achieve in them. 

  • Using all the tools in the beginning to train yourself in time management will be super beneficial because eventually you won’t need all tools just one or two - as certain tasks with consistency and discipline will become habits. 

  • Start off by breaking down what you will need to make a habit whether it is on a daily or weekly basis and time manage and plan for one month. As different tasks come up - add them to your diary and schedule at the end of each day. Use your notebook to jot down these tasks throughout the day so you don’t forget. 

  • Each day to close off your working hours for the day - you need to plan for the next day in order to time manage effectively. 


TIPS TO TIME MANAGE EFFECTIVELY 

  1. Keep yourself accountable

  • If you have scheduled out a certain time to accomplish a task, no matter what, stay disciplined and ensure you do it in that time frame 

  1. Use alarms

  • When you sit down to begin a task set an alarm for the specific time frame so you know when you are finished that task and need to move onto to the next. With your non-negotiables these alarms can be set to repeat at the same time every day, you can even set an alarm for when you need to start an activity.

  1. 10 Minute Blitz

  • Do one of the green zone activities for just 10 minutes straight, nothing else!

  • Get a pen and notepad and count how many you do in 10 minutes, i.e. engaging, how many people did you do?

  1. Create a priorities list

  • These will be your green zone activities and non-negotiables combined. Be firm with these, if your team tries to contact you in this time let them know you are busy and will contact them when you have accomplished your priorities.

  • Do these in 10 minute blitz’s - if there are six priorities that is only one hour of your day. 



Last modified: Tuesday, 12 Jan 2021, 08:55