9.2 Practitioner research outside the OU

There are two main ways of finding out about practitioner research in the wider HE sector.  The first is to examine recent conferences and publications which tend to disseminate practioner research projects. The second is to to look at the websites of the various organizations which fund small-scale teaching and learning projects to identify recent projects.  This can also be a good way of finding out about the type of projects which are funded should you also wish to apply for funding. 

Funding organizations

The Higher Education Academy (HEA) funds Teaching Development Grants,which are probably most similar in size and scope to practitioner research.  The website contains details of 'live' projects as well as case studies of previously funded projects:


The Higher Education Careers Services Unit (HECSU)  has funded a number of practitioner research projects at different UK universities.

Copies of the reports can be found via the following link:

The Centres for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETLs)

Although the CETLs finished in 2010, many of the funded institutions maintain a legacy website through which it is possible to find out about the projects undertaken within each CETL.  The National Archive now houses a list of all 74 CETLs, with information about the lead researcher and links to their websites.  If the link doesn't work, then try copying and pasting the URL.


Last modified: Tuesday, 4 Mar 2014, 16:48