7.2 Key aspects of the school experience visit
As well as observing the student teacher, the supervisor plays a key role in supporting the cooperating teacher and the head teacher to ensure that the student teacher develops high standards in teaching skills.
The school experience visit is likely to include five different activities:
- contact with cooperating school staff
- meeting with the student teacher prior to observing the lesson
- observing the student teacher’s lesson
- discussing the lesson with the student teacher
- assessing the student teacher, which might be informal or formal assessment.
These activities are not as simple as they may appear, and skill is required to achieve the desired outcomes. It is therefore worthwhile having a closer look at what each involves.